A "failed to get an exclusive lock" error indicates that the resource that you tried to open has been locked – either because it has been opened by another user, or because the lock was not properly released. The error may appear when trying to open resources such as projects, experiments, or CE devices.
To solve the problem, first check if the resource is currently in use by the user on the computer specified in the error message. If this is not the case, the issue can be solved as follows:
- Log in to Coffalyser.Net, and select the option Close all other sessions for this user in the login dialog.
- Right-click on the database server in the navigation window on the right-hand side of the screen (the database server is the uppermost 'node' in the tree).
- Choose End Expired Sessions.
- Right-click on the server again, and choose Check All Database Locks.
- Try to open the resource again.
Coffalyser.Net does not allow multiple users to open a resource simultaneously to prevent issues caused by simultaneous changes. To achieve this, resources are marked as 'locked' in the database as soon as they are opened. This lock is released again once the resource is closed. The following error appears when a second user tries to access a locked resource:
Failed to get an exclusive lock (currently locked by user 'Username' at computer 'COMPUTERNAME')
This may happen in a multi-user environment when two users try to access the same resource simultaneously. The error can also appear if an existing lock was not released properly. This can happen if the software closed unexpectedly, if the computer crashed, or if the connection to the server was interrupted. In such cases, the issue can be solved by releasing existing locks via the procedure above.